@3 days ago
#Laser cutting #laser cut #microfluidics #diffusion #paper #paper folding
First results from my experiment to attempt to control fluid flow/diffusion with laser-etched channels in a porous media (paper). The two samples that delivered the highest amount of directed flow (as evidenced by the dark residue along etch paths) are those that also had the deepest etches, made with 10% and 14% laser power (3.5 Watts and 4.9 Watts, respectively) on an Epilog Helix. A control of scored paper perfromed poorly, as did the lower power (4% or 1.4 Watts) etched sample. I will have to try this with some simpler geometries to build a more definitive case for which parameters yield the best direct flow.
@3 months ago with 5 notes
#fractals #algorithms #biology
A couple weeks ago, a paper that I wrote came up in a conversation about pattern recognition with a student studying emergence theory at NYU. In the paper, I investigated Hausdorff dimension analysis of tree branches to derive their fractal dimension (fractals have a non-integer dimension) as a method of species differentiation and identification. As the bar graph indicates, my efforts were mostly successful, though the lack of a guarantee of dimensional uniqueness calls into question the ultimate utility of the approach.
My original paper can be found here.
@3 months ago with 3 notes
#laser cutting #nervous system
Laser cut coaster. I used Nervous System’s Radiolaria tool to generate geometries for laser-cutting. They really have some wonderful tools on their website. I can’t wait to make some larger geometries for light fixtures.
@3 months ago
I had some time with the forge this past Fall and experimented more with a stencil-resist corrosion technique I’ve been working on. I used tape to lay out a simple design on a disc of steel and then apply a clay slurry to the exposed metal. I then removed the tape and slowly dried the clay. While the clay was drying, I cleared the tuyere and build up a good bed of coke. I then placed the workpiece in the forge over the now large heating area and ran the blower at full power to maximize oxidation. Every few minutes, I flipped the piece to develop good, oxidized surfaces on both sides. After about 20 minutes or so, I removed the piece and quenched it immediately to shock off most of the scale. I then reheated to cherry red and let cool before buffing off the remaining scale with a wire brush wheel. (Though it isn’t pictured, I then hammered this piece into a bowl using a recessed oak die and large, ball-faced striker.)
@10 months ago
Starting to work a bit with paper. It’s an interesting material when approached as something structural. I’d like to try some of this with steal shim stock some time. Maybe with a little help from a hydraulic or laser cutter.